Monday, May 25, 2009

Angels & Demons / Rambling about Pollution


Angels & Demons
So I watched it! I swore I wouldn't watch anything biblical or religious in the theaters but I'm really glad I made an exception of this one. There were so many things to like about this movie. The plot was a conceptual masterpiece seasoned with just the right amount of action and gore. The film had me on the edge of the seat the whole time, and I ignored mother nature's call altogether. It was truly mind over bladder. I didn't read the book, but heard that it was important to put aside the "book to movie" comparison and just enjoy it for what it's worth. Enjoy I did, and I couldn't help calling my sister a "illuminati" after the movie just for kicks. I'm not going to review this movie, partly because plenty of people are paid to do that and partly because I probably won't do it much justice. All I have to say is if you love yourself, you would go watch it. Yes, it's that good, and some more.

It's my first blogpost. I guess I shouldn't be expecting much of an audience. That's good; expectations are only a setup for failure. I'm kidding; we should always be optimistic about what happens around us. It's sad to see the Earth in such a battered state. Hmm, let's say we personify "Earth". I wonder what type of injury he/she would classify under? Could it be bone fractures in all four limbs but with possibility of a full or decent recovery, or a puncture to the heart resulting in the slow draining of "life juice" and eventual death? I hope it's the former; at least there's really something we can do about it. But you know how the saying goes "I rather die trying...yadayada...."? I guess that's how all our mentality should be. Is Earth really doomed for imminent death? I don't thing anyone will ever know; but the least we could do is try to prevent it from ever occurring.

Pollution
An Indian boy searches for coins in the polluted waters of the Yamuna River in New Delhi.The national capital is a major culprit in the pollution of the Yamuna, accounting for about 79 per cent of the total waste water that is poured into the river by the major towns along its banks. Despite the Indian government spending millions on trying to clean up the river, most of it going to waste-treatment stations, pollution levels continue to rise. Courtesy of Gigpic. (click image for more upsetting photographs)

Pollution
"Enjoying" a swim. Courtesy of Gigipica, (click image for more upsetting photographs)

I shouldn't be one to talk though. I still use plastic bags once in awhile and I'm guilty of turning on the air conditioning. On the brighter side, I've started taking quick cold water showers and recycling at home. It's difficult to change a lifestyle that we've become moulded to, but hey, even putty loses its shape after while. Just something to think about...

What's up with the treacherous weather in Hong Kong? It's been raining for a full week. I'm in need of some Vitamin D. Besides, my camera doesn't like water so would you please stop crying and gives us a day or two of sunshine? Anyways, weather wizards predict another week of steady rainfall. Oh joy!

1 comment:

  1. wow.......i think u hv written more in this one post than my whole blog....

    ReplyDelete